Fall School 2015 – Phase changes and eruptions in the Universe
Part of the Investissements d’Avenir program, Labex have, among other ambition, the one to play a leading role in the teachings of Masters and PhD levels.
After the success of the first edition, the second UnivEarthS Labex Fall School will take place in Santorin (Greece) from 17 to 23 October 2015.
It is open to students in second year of master’s or PhD in the fields of earth science and astrophysics at the AIM, APC, IPGP and ONERA, to UnivEarthS’s members and also to science high school teachers. 37 places are available, with a full support of the Labex.
Under the theme “Phase changes and eruptions in the Universe ,” this Fall School aims to train to the multidisciplinary thematics of UnivEarthS Labex. A cross between educational cultures of the different laboratories will be encouraged.
The lectures will be given in French, with an English presentation support (except if specific request from speaker for a presentation entirely in English).
Participants will be required to present a poster on their latest research work.
This Fall School is associated to ED STEP’UP 109 and can enter the PhD training program.
The positions (33) are available to the following persons:
- Students from second year of STPE et GEO3 master
- Students from second year of Masters A & A and NPAC
- PhD students from ED 109 “Earth Sciences, Environment, and Physics of the Universe, Paris” (STEP’UP)
– within the Programme Terre, Environment
-within the Programme Physique de l’Univers
- UnivEarthS’s members: PhD students, post-docs, engineers and technicians, administrative team
- Science high school teachers
Please download the application form : fall_school_2015_application_form.pdf
Return before September 13th the completed form to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications which complete the conditions mentioned above will be reviewed and an answer will be given as soon as possible.
Each participant must complete and present a poster on his latest work.
You’ll find here a resume of the conferences given during the Fall school 2015.
This program is currently being validated and may be slightly modified, depending on availability and requirements of speakers.
Volcanology – 6h:
- The deep sources of volcanoes: formation and extraction of magmas (Edouard Kaminski)
- Ascension of magma and formation of volcanic reservoirs (Claude Jaupard)
- The volcanic systems: structure and role of the construction (Claude Jaupard)
- Explosive eruptions: volcanic conduits and atmospheric panaches (Edouard Kaminsky)
Astrophysics – 6h:
- Magnetism of the Sun and stars: origin, variability and space meteorology (Sacha Brun)
- The Higgs boson and its (plausible) history: from the LHC to the early universe (Germano Nardini)
Methodology – 12h:
- Waves eruptive shock: thermodynamics and particle acceleration (Isabelle Grenier)
- Numerical modeling = data assimilation (Alexandre Fournier)
- How to map the explosion of the Big Bang: cosmology data analysis (Maude Le Jeune)
- Collection and processing of data in extreme environments (Florent Brenguier)
- Sacha Brun
- Florent Brenguier
- Alexandre Fournier (to be confirmed)
- Isabelle Grenier
- Claude Jaupart
- Edouard Kaminski
- Maud Le Jeune
- Germano Nardini
UnivEarths Labex Fall school will take place in Santorin from the 17th of october to the 23th.
The departure will be on October 17th and return on the 23th, airline tickets dates can not be changed for participants.
All costs (transport, accommodation, meals) are supported by the UnivEarthS Labex except for the free time.
The participants and speakers will be accomodated in the following hotels :
Here are some useful links to discover Santorini:
A day of sightseeing is planned for mid week, and take participants on the following activities:
– Visit of the Archaeological Museum of Santorini
– Boat trip & visit to the island in the middle of the caldera (Nea Kameni)